Thursday, February 15, 2007

Give me a brake

I've begun to notice how dangerously the T buses operate. Yesterday, during hellfest, the otherwise vacant buses were packed with people who knew vaguely how the "old" system works. MBTA's technology failed and everyone had to revert to the best-kept secret in public transportation, the 57 bus. With the T blocking an intersection for most of the day, students and cars couldn't reach their destination and the bus took on the mission of the Outbound B-Line. I always think it's hilarious when someone wipes out in the T because they can't keep balance, but on a bus? OH-MY-GOD, I don't even know if it's too mean to be funny.

These bus drivers are pretty ruthless; they can stop on a dime for street-wavers and will definitely fly past your stop when the yellow stop-request tape doesn't work (which is every time for me). Today, I'm pretty sure the bus driver was implying that I jump out while it was moving. He was creeping along with the doors open while I held on tight (waiting for the jerk of the brakes). What I've failed to stress is that the bus is on a road with other cars. it's basically a car. and there is so much stopping and going that it kind of looks foreign to me to have anyone stand. I'm so wrong. but I think a lot of people agree with me after yesterday.

So I saw some lady fly from one end of the bus to the other and that's when I kind of thought about how creepy the bus drivers are. Then I realized I was holding the bar so tight that my hand was white and I jerked back and forth on my arm as if it was a limp noodle. ok, not that limp. just a noodle. I think lots of people missed their stops yesterday because the drivers love to roll through them. If you don't jump out in time, he says fuck you and keeps going. give me a (gentle) break, buddy.

No comments: